- Finland is a republic and a member of the European Union (EU).
- The capital of Finland is Helsinki.
- Finland is divided into self-governed municipalities.
- Åland is an autonomous region of Finland.
- Finland has 5.5 million inhabitants.
- The national languages are Finnish and Swedish (about 5% of Finns speak Swedish as their native language).
- Many Finns speak fluent English.
Climate and geography
- Finland is located in Northern Europe in the Baltic Sea region.
- Finland’s neighbouring countries are Russia (east), Norway (north), Sweden (west) and Estonia (south).
- The surface area of Finland is 338,432 km², which includes the land and inland water areas.
- The currency of Finland is the euro.
Information about Finland in other online sources
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment:
Guide Welcome to Finland (pdf, 3,40 MB)
Finnish | Swedish | English | Russian | Estonian | French
Somali | Spanish | Turkish | Chinese | Persian | Arabic
Public services online
Finnish | Swedish | English
Information about Finland
English | Russian | French | Spanish
Chinese | Arabic | German | Portuguese
Information about Finland for tourists
Swedish | English | Russian | French | Spanish
Chinese | German | Japanese | Italian