Most students who plan to stay in Norway for more than three months will need a student residence permit. Visas are only issued for up to 90 days and will not cover stays beyond this period.

We urge you to carefully read the regulations that applies to you in order to avoid problems and delays during the application process. 

Do you have questions concerning visa and the Corona situation? Read more here

Please also check the general requirements for your country made by the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI).

Høyere utdanning – Oslo

In short, this is the requirements for international students who have been admitted to higher education in Norway: 

  • For applicants from students from the Nordic countries:

If you come from one of the Nordic countries you will not have to apply for a residence permit, but you should report your move to the National Registry

  • For applicants from countries in the EU/EEA/EFTA:

If you come from countries within the EU/EEA/EFTA area you have to register with the local police within three months. Read more here.

  • For applicants from countries outside the EU/EEA/EFTA:

If you come from outside the EU/EEA/EFTA area you have to apply for a student residence permit. See the requirements for your country here. 

There is a processing fee for each application. This fee may vary depending on in which country the application is processed. 

Please beware that you will be asked to document that you have enough money to live on, at least NOK 121,220 per year. You will have to apply every year, if you are following a study programme that lasts more than one year. If you have been admitted to an institution that charges tuition fees you will also have to document that you are able to cover this extra cost. As a general rule, the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration requires the money to be deposited in a Norwegian bank account. There is also a charge to the visa application of NOK 4,900,-. 

Please note that the documentation requirements will vary from country to country and are subject to change. For more information contact the Norwegian Foreign Service mission closest to you. If you are in Norway, contact the local police. Remember that your institution will be able to advise you on this process.

The regulations above are also valid for exchange students from countries outside the EU/EEA/EFTA. If the stay is financed through scholarships, student loans or other public funding from the home country, valid documentation must accompany the application. 

NB! A student residence permit to Norway is granted under the precondition that the student will return to his/her country of legal permanent residence upon completion of the studies.